Aap per my understanding, School-age children (ages 6-13) require 9-11 hours a day. Teenagers (ages 14-17) need about 8-10 hours each day. Most adults need 7 to 9 hours a night for the best amount of sleep, although some people may need as few as 6 hours or as many as 10 hours of sleep each day
Sleep is very diverse phenomena, limiting it to a number of hours will not be accurate. We need to take care of a lot of factors that influence once sleep.
Thumb rule of sleep is: (This is for normal healthy human. Normal factors taken into account such as eating habits, normal mental and physical activity)
- Newborns (0-3 months): Sleep range 14-17 hours
- Infants (4-11 months): Sleep range 12-15 hours
- Toddlers (1-2 years): Sleep range 11-14 hours
- Preschoolers (3-5): Sleep range 10-13 hours
- School age children (6-13): Sleep range 9-11 hours
- Teenagers (14-17): Sleep range 8-10 hours
- Younger adults (18-25): Sleep range is 7-9 hours
- Adults (26-64): Sleep range 7-9 hours
- Older adults (65+): Sleep range is 7-8 hours
Chronic sleep deprivation will cause lot of cardiovascular, mental and physical problems and chronic oversleeping will cause TATT syndrome.
Why do we need this much amount of sleep?
Sleep gives the brain undivided attention on itself and body so the following can happen.
- Physical Rest and Healing - Sleep reduces heart rate, blood pressure and consumes less energy so resting our body physically. Healing, repairing & growth of muscles, organs and the immune system is faster during sleep.
- Mental Rest - Brain gets tired due to all the voluntary and involuntary activities, sleeping, rests and repairs the brain. Creates new neurons, increases retention power, simulates events during sleep so that we perform better in the real world and lots of other functions.
- Emotional Well-being - Sleeping helps in coping up with any emotional tragedy or trauma. Sleep makes easier to digest the reality, so sleep a bit more if you are emotionally disturbed and you will feel better.
For extreme factors such as disease, extreme physical and mental fatigue, extreme emotional stress increase the sleep duration by an hour or two.
I think first you need to understand what Circadian Rhythms are. In basic terms its our sleep-wake cycle/rhythm. You natural energy dips about 10Am in the morning. If you can you should take a break. if your at home take a 40 minutes nap.
This happens again between 2pm and 3pm, another break or nap would be great. Only 40 minutes is required. An longer, will make you feel even more tired after you get up.
So at night it's important that you finish eating 2.5 to 4 hrs before you sleep and 8-9 hours should do it. However this should be between 8pm and 6am.
Depends on your routine
- If you are doing a desk job. not that hectic and no physical work : 6-7.5 hours is enough
- If you are doing a hectic desk job then : 7-8 hours is mandatory
- If alongside your work you do some sort of exercise or physical work then at least 7 hours to sound sleep (9 hours of total sleep) is required.
PS : the numbers also depend on how deep sleep you are in (1-2 hours can be reduced in the numbers for the same)
Just purely based on my personal preference, 6 hours is the bare minimum I need to sleep to feel at least OK during the day. If I sleep 7-8 hours I'm feeling good, and over that, well, that usually means it's the weekend and I'm feeling great anyway. :)